Friday 9 December 2011

A -Slightly Psychedelic- Pompom Wreath

Only 2 weeks to go...!

Elisalex here, howdy!  With the majority of my presents done and ticked off the list, I'm now turning my attention to decorating...


For some reason, traditional Christmas Wreaths have always felt a little morbid and ominous to me.  Dark, spiky and somewhat reminiscent of funerals.  Beautiful, but depressing.  But then I saw this Pompom Wreath, and this tutorial from JCasa*Handmade, and I knew what I had to do.


For the wreath's structure I used some foam tubing from the hardware store and a coat hanger to create the shape -


Then made a bunch of pompoms in my favourite reds-dusty pinks-off whites colour combination and tied them securely onto the foam tubing.  To finish I wound around some woodland mushroom fairy lights I had (which I think look a little too acid-y when switched on, but perfectly cute -and innocent- left off) and attached a grosgrain ribbon loop so it can be hung. 


But no way is this wreath getting hung outside... I've become very fond of its sweet, not at all morbid or ominous, and very soft self.  I couldn't possibly risk it getting rained on or stolen, and most of all I want it inside where can appreciate it.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmm is it bad that I want to fondle your pretty wreath? LOL! It's squishably adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sandra!! I have been fondling it lovingly since pompom no.1, and considering it's mostly alpaca, merino and some silk (leftovers from previous makes), it is indeed incredibly snuggle-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squishably adorable is such good way to describe it! I love the addition of the mushrooms. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Seasonal and funky all at once!

    ReplyDelete