Monday 12 December 2011

Embroidered Apron

Hello everyone, KraftyKat back again! Yesterday when i showed you my homemade gift tags i promised to be back soon with some actual finished gifts...and here i am! Today i finished an apron which is a present for my boyfriend, who likes to cook (lucky me!).




I made the apron out of cotton canvas that i picked up at the local market. I traced around an apron that we already had to get the shape, cut it out and sealed the raw edges with bias binding. I used contrasting thread for effect.

Those of you who follow my blog will know that i have recently been on a course to learn hand embroidery - i used this new skill to embroider the shape of a chicken on the front of the apron, using thread to match the straps and stitching. To do this I first printed out an outline picture of a chicken (Google is your friend here!) then cut it out and traced around it onto the front of the apron using tailors chalk. I then stitched a simple backstitch around the outline. I think the result is rather effective.



I think the most fiddly part of the whole process was sewing the straps. I folded the raw ends over twice and stitched around them in a box shape to prevent fraying. I then attached them to the apron, trying to sew within the previous stitching like to keep it tidy. It's still not amazingly neat, but it doesn't show up too much so it's all good!



Right, one gift down, 5 to go. Stressed? Me?!

K xx

4 comments:

  1. how cute! love the colours.happy holidays!!hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration! i'm also hosting 2 rad giveaways! bracelets worn by kourtney kardashian, courtney cox and vanessa hudgens! check it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the simplicity and cleanness of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now don't stress - the first one always takes the longest - wait until you see how fast you can whip up the other 5! Plus, you have almost 2 weeks yet, so you should be fine if you don't dilly dally, lol. You did a great job on your boyfriend's apron - hand embroidery is not a skill I've been able to pick up, sadly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Sandra, thanks for the encouragement :) I'm hoping to get a few more gifts done tonight so hopefully that will reduce the stress levels. And you're right...still (just under) 2 weeks to go!!

    ReplyDelete