Tuesday 13 December 2011

Cloth napkins and an iPad Cover

Hello fellow crafters. It's Andrea from Stitch Parade with another update. I’m going to keep this one short and sweet because the holidays are approaching at light speed and we’re all super busy, no doubt. On that note, if you’re running out of time, own a serger, and have a metre of colourful quilting cotton in your stash, I have the perfect hostess gift for you: cloth napkins! I made the two sets below in less than an hour.

Here’s how: After pre-washing your fabric cut it into rectangles approximately 18”x 14”. You should be able to get six rectangles out of a yard/metre of 44” wide fabric. Once you have your rectangles ready, set your serger to the rolled hem setting and serge each side. Finish it off by cutting away any stray threads and sealing each corner with a bit of fray check. Let the fray check dry, press and fold – you’re done!

The corners may look a bit frail, but I can assure you they are not. I made a set for myself about a year ago and after several washes, the ends have held up quite nicely.

On to a totally different kind of present, I also made this iPad cover for my mother-in-law. I wish I could show you what it looks like with the iPad inside of it, but I don’t own and iPad so fingers crossed it will fit.

This project also took me less than an hour to complete. If you are interested in making one, here’s a link to the tutorial I used, which includes a picture of the finished product with the iPad safely ensconced inside.
Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday crafting frenzy!

3 comments: