Thursday 22 December 2011

Christmas Crafting Complete!

My Christmas Crafting is complete! FINALLY!
I made a bunch of these slippers from http://www.ithinksew.com/ . I found that the pattern required a little tweaking, but after 1 test pair, they were really simple to sew and REALLY cute! I want to make a dozen for myself!

I found the best tweak, was to add a stretchy panel at the heel, reinforced with a bit of sturdy elastic. It allowed the slipper to stretch a little, while the elastic held it snug on your foot. I found that making them up "as is", they were either slightly too tight, or falling off my foot. But, with that one little change, the slippers are great and so comfy (I made a pair for myself a few weeks ago that I have been wearing non-stop!).

I added non-slip "hearts" appliquéd to the bottom of the soles to make them a little safer for wearing around the house. I'd imagine with out these, they could be dangerously slippery!

Now... to finish wrapping everything...

3 comments:

  1. I love these Sarah Elaine! I've just ordered the pattern too. Do you have a blog where you detail adding the elastic panel? Not quite sure how one would do it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did kind of explain on my blog http://ohhhlulu.blogspot.com/2011/12/i-think-sew-slipper-patterns.html. I basically removed 2" from the heel (1" from either side) and sewed in a stretch pannel on the back. I then zig-zag stitched a piece of elastic (while pulling the elastic) around the top of the heel to keep it snug. I'll try to post some detail shots in a few days :)

    I am hoping to do a sew-along with these sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are really cute & unique - I'd love a pair of those as a gift. Well done!

    ReplyDelete