Thursday 15 December 2011

Simple Lined Book Bags

I am pleased to report that two more presents are now ticked off my list! Yesterday I finished a couple of bags which will be gifted to some of my good friends.



The pattern for these bags is adapted from the book bag pattern in The Bag Making Bible by Lisa Lam. I used this pattern for the general shape and then added a couple of details such as lining and pockets, as well as an appliqued shape to the outside. Here i tried machine applique for the first time. The verdict? So much easier than doing it by hand, and an added bonus is that you get wonderfully even stitching. I'm a convert :) These bags are technically reversible, so my friends can choose which side they prefer best!




I also added box corners to the bottom of both outer and lining, to give the bags a bit more shape, and interfaced the outer fabric and straps to give some added strength. Here is what they look like inside...

 


I now have 3 gifts left to make plus some edible goodies. I hope to get these all pretty much done over the weekend, so watch this space! Good luck everyone else, i hope you are able to make the most of the last crafting weekend before Christmas...argh!!!

K xx

2 comments: