Wednesday 2 November 2011

Gifts or too Gaudy?


 I'm looking for some feedback.  I recently went to a great yard sale where the seller was getting rid of lots of trim and material from her defunct business of selling children's clothing.  My most useful acquisition was a full bolt of fusible interfacing for $10.  I couldn't resist some of the trimmings though because they were so cheap and so cute!  I picked up several yards of a pleated rainbow ribbon ($1), some lace and other embroidered ribbons.
      Then I saw some homemade headband tutorials while reading craft sites and decided to give it a shot.  Here are the results:
    I think they would be cute for small girls but am wondering if my tastes are too bright.  Too gaudy?  Please let me know what you think.  They were quick and easy - I just folded over the ends and sealed them with a dot of glue and then carefully did a thin line of hot glue up the headband and pressed.
    I would like to do the same thing with some ladybug ribbon but the embroidered threads kept sticking out.  Any suggestions on how to contain these?  Fray check?
  Please check out my blog for a picture of my ironing board after my first use of the glue gun and other lessons learned from a glue gun newbie.

10 comments:

  1. Heck, I'd love wearing those, and I am 29. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think because they're quite slim bands it's not too much, they would just add a pretty splash of colour to one's hair-do, I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think they're gaudy at all. Super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they would be cute for girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely be making more of these - they are quick (instant gratification) and hopefully will be enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think cute rather than gaudy - perfect for a little girl, they are so fun! Also I second Diandra's comment...I'd certainly be tempted by these :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a mother of 2 little 'uns, let me tell you there is no such thing as too gaudy (much to my horror) and, sorry but, these headbands don't even come close!

    ReplyDelete