Monday 1 November 2010

Hello Everyone

Hi, my name is Jill. I don't have a blog but I am a member of Wardobe Refashion and Burdastyle. Since I was a child I have always handmade gifts, my mum encouraged us to be creative that way. It is also a great way to save money!
This year I am going to try to do Christmas gifts for 21 people for less than $150.
Throughout the year I keep a journal of ideas I have and others I have seen around the place, who I think would like that type of gift and how to source materials.
This is my list so far:
1. Slippers out of my stash of vintage souvenir teatowels (everyone has a collection of those, right??), inspired by this post for my sister in law who lives overseas and my seriously ill aunty.
2. Bathmats: out of old towels/t-shirts, inspired by this.
3. Coasters made out of craft store bases, decorated with pictures from second hand children's books for my cousin (she likes Dr Seuss).
4. Pillows decorated with doilies like in the picture from Smile and Wave with details here for an aunt.
5. Skirts for my sister's from stash fabric. One of my sisters is a primary school teacher who likes themed skirts to wear to work. I found Vegemite (Gross tasting Australian toast topping) pillowcases at the op-shops which I will use to applique somehow on her skirt...
6. For the people I don't know very well, but need to give something to I am thinking lemon butter (my Nanna's recipe) or shortbread.

Now I just have to make all of this...

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jill

    That slipper tutorial is great - you should definitely post some photos when you have made them. I think I have a few old teatowels hanging around...

    Now be careful what you say about Vegemite, there's a few Aussies lurking on this blog ; )

    Stitchybritt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those slippers are amazing! I'm jealous I don't have a stash of vintage tea towels...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegemite is lovely!!! It's an Australian staple, and an addiction of mine. Thank goodness you can buy it from most supermarkets in the UK. And 'toast topping'??? - I'm adding that to my translation page.

    I can't wait to see your finished products. I love those slippers... my to do list is growing with envy at everyone elses projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I love the slipper tutorial! Those are amazing! And the doilie pillow--so clever! I look forward to seeing your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the bath mat looks RAD! I love projects you can sit down and watch a movie with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also planning to make some throw pillows and maybe matching curtains as a gift - anyone have suggestions on good home decorating patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm Australian but I HATE Vegemite. My sister likes it though and I think the kids in her class will like that she has pictures of vegemite jars on her skirt!

    ReplyDelete