Sunday 24 October 2010

'Handmade' labels

I wanted to share with you all what I think is a really nice finishing touch to a handmade gift - adding a label!  I add them to everything I make and I’ve lost count of the times people have said how much they love that detail.

You can buy special craft labels but they tend to work out pretty expensive – so what I do instead is order the school name tapes that I use for my children’s school uniform.  The company I use is Woven Labels UK but just googling ‘school name tapes’ will bring up lots of companies all making the same thing. 
They work out at £3.75 for 72 (the craft labels are £9.99 for 36) and you can include whatever lettering you like. Here's what they look like on some of the little purses I'm always making:


    
I love using them: they show the item is handmade, but at the same time make it look a bit more professional and finished (if that makes sense). And they always put a big smile on the face of the person receiving the gift.  x

11 comments:

  1. That's such a good idea! I had thought about putting labels in the things I make but the thought of writing/embroidering all my own labels but the time it would take sadly put me off. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read my mind! I was just thinking to ask if anyone has a good label source in my first post. Thank you, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh good idea, I have to get some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. I'm off to Google a school label company here in Aus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful! I'd always assumed that getting quality woven labels would be too expensive, but these are simple & just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea! They look fabtastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about getting labels for my handmade creations, so thanks for the tip! I've ordered myself some, hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the tip - that's exactly what I had been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I just post to say thanks for sharing this article of making your own little labels. My question to you is Can I use 100% cotton or cotton blend fabric & cut into stripes either hand sew the name on the fabric bags I've made so far or marked it with some type of craft permanent marker just asking. I look forward to your reply a.s.a.p. Tafs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for writing such an interesting article on this topic. This has really made me think and I hope to read more. leather labels uk

    ReplyDelete