Thursday 28 October 2010

Drawstring Purse - Detailing Needed

I've finished my first Christmas project - almost. It's a drawstring purse, a very simple design made from a Burda tutorial (it was on their old English site, before they merged with Burdastyle.I'm pretty happy with the outcome, how the purse looks and I'm pleased with how the handles came out, they are pretty sturdy for being so thin, it comes from the fact that the fabric is folded four times. I'm not happy with the ribbon I bought for the drawstring, I think it overtakes too much. They are at the moment quite long and will be shorter either way, but I'm not sure I would like them anyway, they shine too much.

So I'm left with a few questions (ah, it's a great thing I joined this blog). Should I use black ribbon or perhaps a burgundy to better match the flowers in the purse? Should I try and make some out of the fabric? However the fabric is a china satin and frays a lot and gets very thick if layered, which was what worked great for the handles. It's not something I need to focus on right now, but I need to figure this out before Christmas at least.

I'm also thinking about adding a detail. The original pattern had a flower, I'm thinking either that or a bow, a flat bow made out of the fabric. It's true what they say, the last 5% of a creation - the details - is what matters most.

I will make another purse out of the same pattern (it's simple and if anyone's interested I can share the basics). It will probably be quick since I've already made one. Well, quick until I get to the same point as this one and need to worry about the details.

8 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful purse! I would use black satin ribbon for the ties and make a pink satin flower for the purse (the ties look pink in the photo - sorry if I've got it wrong).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely purse and I agree with Sarah about the ribbon. I think a black ribbon will completely change the look of it and make it even chicer. Maybe make the flower and see how it looks on the purse? You can always turn into into a brooch if it's too much. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely black satin ribbon... its such a gorgeous fabric the print needs to be the only colour to stand out better. Lovely bag btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your input. Even my boyfriend (who usually don't critique my work too heavy) said the red (they're bright red) ribbons looked silly. So I will probably go for black ribbon and think a little more if I should add some other detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd go with black satin cording, not ribbon, if you can find some.
    you could use the red ribbon to make a rosette or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd go with burgundy ribbon in a smaller width for the ties - they would match but be more subtle. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is not just the color of the ribbon but how much of it there is. Changing colors is only the start--I think you should simplify. Use one thing in the top center (both sides) of the bag. A feature piece like a rosette or broach as others have suggested. Your bag is very pretty and I think this simplified approach would make it quite elegant. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, thanks for all your input. I will ponder your ideas and thoughts and see what I will come up with. Good thing Christmas is (almost) two months away so I can think it through and don't need to make hasty decisions - they're usually not good.

    ReplyDelete