Friday 19 November 2010

Brainstorming

Hello all! I'm back and ready to start sewing gifts. (I'll do another baking post soon though, here is a link to my previous coffee cup tutorial). I'll be sewing/crafting gifts for my Mom, Oma, Aunt E, friend Ashley and boyfriend, as well as making smaller gifts for friends and teachers. I always lean towards the (over) ambitious side, so, I give you a list of possible gifts.

-hand knit scarves and hats
-wristlet/clutch purses
-big purses with matching makeup bag/coin purse
-pajamas and robes
-zip hoodie, either handsewn or refashioned
-loose fitting, season friendly cardigan
-homemade jams and cookies
-photos with handmade frames

I have been browsing patterns, here are a few I like based off gift potential and good reviews on PatternReview.com:


McCall's 5534, for the adorable hooded robe

Simplicity 2560, very simple and cute cardigans. My mom would love view A.


Simplicity 2357, views A and B


McCall's 6089, oversized clutch bags with tassels. This one is high on my list because there is lots of room for embellishment and personalization - both of which are important in a gift!


McCall's 6046, two very stylish bag shapes with embellishment options. 


I've had a lot of success with McCall's bag patterns in the past, namely 5599, so I'm leaning more towards the McCalls bag option than the Simplicity one. Ideally I will find and make one of the purses, decide it's a fabulous pattern, and cut out several more. I'd especially like to make coordinating makeup bags to go inside, so I will have more to fill with lovely fresh cut soaps and products from Lush (I work there, so my opinion is biased, but I get a discount :)

I would love input on fabrics, quick construction, or a hoodie pattern recommendation. Knit scarf or hat pattern suggestions would be lovely as well! 


1 comment:

  1. I just made Simplicity 2560, view A (it's going up on the blog tomorrow). It was very simple and fun! Great fit, too.

    ReplyDelete